Thursday, October 16, 2014

Consumerism

This reading is about the rat race. We all take part in it, to some degree. We all have to have the latest iPhone, laptop, car, clothes, etc. I know that I am guilty of it, though perhaps not as guilty as some. I have always despised the rat race and what it stands for. And yet still... I have to have the newest phone and laptop myself, with the latest programs. I tell myself that I need it for my education and work, but I know that I fall victim to consumerism.

On page 274, Cohen notes that when the policy shifted in the 1950's from social policy, to consumerism that it resulted in social inequality along racial lines, less voter participation, and an increase in social and political segmentation. This is exactly why I have always despised the rat race.

Strange to think that my job, as a graphic designer will be to support consumerism... looking for ways to make people want what they don't necessarily need. I'm going to try and not think too deeply about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment