Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I use a lot of modern technology and am therefore exposed to a good deal of mass media. I don't go out of my way to seek out media. I don't watch tv. I don't listen to the radio and I don't really even watch the news. Non the less, I am saturated by it at every turn, I cannot deny that.

If I am going to watch the news, I prefer The Daily Show, or The Colbert Report. I believe that we get more truth from a parody that causes us to re-analyse the news that has been presented to the masses and question their motives and perspectives... although, I'm sure the shows I mentioned have there own agendas. I agree with the author, when he states on page 231 that "the boundaries between news and fiction and between entertainment and information are increasingly blurred".

I agree with the author that mass media can be used as a tool of mass propaganda or mass persuasion... it is up to us, however to buy into what they are selling. It is also up to us, quite literally, to buy, or not to buy what they are selling. We are the masses. Are we going to be dominated and controlled by the media? it is up to us as individuals.Although it may not be as easy, the individual and the like minded can use mass media to disseminate their own point of view, fostering a diversity of self expression, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment